Basilica Palatina di Santa Barbara

Design and built between 1562 and 1572, Santa Barbara was planned as a court church, not under the bishop's control, as one can tell from the Greek cross plan, which differs from the traditional architecture of the local places of worship, in addition to the central nature of acoustics in the architectural study.
Proof of this intention is provided by the four choir lofts located above the stands and dedicated to the presence or musicians, choirs and, above all, the Antegnati organ.
The instrument was built by Graziadio Antegnati, the heir to the important family of organists from Brescia, in 1565.
Subject to extensive restoration work between 1996 and 2006, it has 312 original pipes out of the total of 665, and this is why it is one of the most precious organs in the world.
The opening of the Palatine Basilica of Santa Barbara is managed by the Italian Touring Club, who is also responsible for promoting restoration work of the interiors and of the bell lantern, which collapsed during the earthquake in 2012.
(Eleonora Corti)
Exhibition SiteOutside