Liceo Ginnasio Virgilio

With the arrival of Jesuits in Mantua, there was a significant step forward in local education: in 1584 they solemnly inaugurated their college.
In 1625, Duke Ferdinando Gonzaga transformed the Jesuits' studio into the "Pacifico Ginnasio Mantovano" - a true university centre, divided into three faculties: Philosophy and Theology, Jurisprudence, and Medicine.
In 1760, Empress Maria Teresa issued a general plan for scholastic organisation, as a result of which the Institute in Mantua is reduced to a "Royal Archducal School".
Later, a physics cabinet and a chemistry laboratory are set up, in addition to a museum of natural history and botanical gardens.
In 1773, sholastic institutes in Mantua are aligned with others in the Lombardy region.
In 1807 in Mantua, the "Mincio Royal School" is formally recognised.
This school, from the Napoleonic period, is based on more practical criteria.
With the Restoration, a rigorously classical set-up is established.
By decree of King Vittorio Emanuele on 21 June 1867, the institute in Mantua is called "Liceo Ginnasio Virgilio".
Then comes the Gentile reform (1923), which restores the school system created by the liberated right.
The reform disregards the technical order, and dedicates the utmost attention to classical studies, also effecting the cultural contents.
Exhibition SiteInside