Pescherie di Giulio Romano

The market is made up of two arched porticoes with an attic level and rectangular windows.
The structures were located either side of the medieval bridge crossing the Rio, the waterway that crosses the city from Lago Superiore to Lago Inferiore, created by Pitentino as a water management solution.
They were connected to the public slaughterhouse, which was also by Giulio Romano, and which was demolished in 1872.
In the Nineteenth century, the fish markets were refurbished, and lost their original function.
They still remain one of the most beautiful corners of Mantua.
(Irene Girardini)
Exhibition SiteOutside