Torre di San Domenico

After the Lutheran events and the Counter-reformation, in 1540 the Bible was brought to our province in secret, by traders who had business abroad.
In 1541, Ercole Gonzaga forbade reading it, and those who were arrested for this crime were imprisoned and tortured in the San Domenico monastery.
The monastery, erected in the Thirteenth century, was for five centuries the location of both political and religious inquisition activities.
In 1925, the entire monastery was demolished, and the San Domenico Tower remained as the only evidence.
The tower is not open to the public.
(Margherita Fila)
Exhibition SiteOutside