Chiesa di San Maurizio

It was the monastic order itself, in 1609, who order the church's construction, entrusted to Anton Maria Viani, at that time the prefect of the Gonzaga buildings.
The inside is a single nave with a circular bell tower, an unusual architectural layout in this area, while the current façade - dated 1731 - is in Baroque style.
Inside, there are canvases by painters of the time, such as Giuseppe Bazzani of Mantua and Ludovico Carracci of Bologna.
Inaugurated in 1616 as the Church of Santi Maurizio e Margherita, after the French conquered Mantua was used - between 1808 and 1814 - as a military church under the name San Napoleone.
Renamed San Maurizio after the return of the Austrians, the church is currently closed to the public, and is mainly used for cultural events and meetings.
(Eleonora Corti)
Exhibition SiteOutside