Tempio di San Sebastiano

Commissioned by Ludovico Gonzaga starting from 14609, it was later built by Luca Fancelli near Palazzo Te.
San Sebastiano represents the perfect architectural example of the early Renaissance, with its mixture of classical elements and modern solutions.
One example is the structure of the building, divided into two superimposed symmetrical modules (the church and the crypt), in which the same architectural shapes are repeated (groin vault inside a square, with barrel vault arms).
As the heirs of Ludovico did not appreciate San Sebastiano, at his death they gave it to the Canons of the Lateran, who saw to completing its construction, with a few changes made over the centuries.
Abandoned until the early Twentieth century, the San Sebastiano Temple was subjected to significant restoration work between 1922 and 1925, and transformed into a Famedio, a memorial chapel dedicated to fallen soldiers.
(Eleonora Corti)
Exhibition SiteOutside
Phone 0376 288208