Casa del Mantegna

The building has a geometric layout: a cube with a cylindrical cavity in the centre.
The cylinder creates an adorable courtyard.
However, it appears that it may have originally been a hall covered with a dome with a circular opening in the centre.
The influence on the work of Leon Battista Alberti, and possibly even Fancelli, is undoubted.
Construction work began in 1476, but financial troubles delayed the schedule, so the artist only took up residence between 1494 and 1496, and just five years later he was forced to sell the home to Marquis Francesco II.
The home remained in the hands of the Gonzaga family until 1607, when it was sold to private owners.
The building is currently the setting of temporary exhibitions.
Exhibition SiteOutside