Seminario Vescovile

The Seminary of Mantua was established in 1594 by the Bishop Francesco Gonzaga (1546-1620).
The building that houses it, originally a wing of the Palazzo Vescovile situated next to the cathedral, was the subject of relevant transformations in the early 19th century: façade and courtyard with a double loggia are an example of neoclassical style.
Around the middle of the 19th century, the large part of the clergy in Mantua that participated in the national ideals was led by a group of teachers of the Seminary.
The leader of this group was Enrico Tazzoli, and many others belonged to the movement, including Giuseppe Pezza-Rossa, Giuseppe Muti Tullo Grandi, Cesare Bozzetti, Giovan Battista Avignone, Luigi Martini, Ferdinando Bosio, and Giuseppe Ottonelli.
They all held an ideal of a religion is not stifled by dogmatism, but founded on on truths that were "persuasive for their intimate reasonableness and purified from prejudices and superstitions, committed to contributing through works to the progress of men”.
Many of these priests were active in the revolution of 1848, and were also involved in the Mazzinian Revolt 1850-1852, also known as the conspiracy of Belfiore.
Enrico Tazzoli, one of the leaders of the conspiracy, was arrested after the plan was discovered and tried by a Austrian military court.
He was hanged at Belfiore 7 December 1852.
Two other priests, members of the conspiracy, met the same fate: Giovanni Grioli was shot by a firing squad 5 November 1851, and Bartolomeo Grazioli was executed on 3 March 1853.
Exhibition SiteInside
Phone0376/402267